Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TT surgery and calcium
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
TT surgery and calcium
I  am 6 days post TT. I was diagnosed graves. I didn't want to do radiation because I have a little one at home. My calcium levels plummeted at the hospital that I needed to  stay 4 nights. I was discharged with a level of 7.5. I went back the next day for follow up lab. My levels dropped again. They increased my calcium dosage to 3 pills of cal vit d 4 times a day and citricol 2 times a day. Will I ever be normal or regulated again?  I want more children and I just feel with surgery I screwed myself.  
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
97953 tn?1440868992
This can improve with time - usually the first few weeks are the worse.  There is a small chance of long-term low calcium that may require calcitriol but future pregnancy should be fine even in that case.  
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Thank you. My calcium dipped low but went back up but not to normal range.  I'm hoping it keeps going up. I really want to start working out and start feeling good again. My surgeon said he's never had anyone lose their parathyroid function completely it's just a matter of when they wake up.  I was able to save all of mine.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...