Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TT surgery and calcium

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TT surgery and calcium
I  am 6 days post TT. I was diagnosed graves. I didn't want to do radiation because I have a little one at home. My calcium levels plummeted at the hospital that I needed to  stay 4 nights. I was discharged with a level of 7.5. I went back the next day for follow up lab. My levels dropped again. They increased my calcium dosage to 3 pills of cal vit d 4 times a day and citricol 2 times a day. Will I ever be normal or regulated again?  I want more children and I just feel with surgery I screwed myself.  
This can improve with time - usually the first few weeks are the worse.  There is a small chance of long-term low calcium that may require calcitriol but future pregnancy should be fine even in that case.  
Thank you. My calcium dipped low but went back up but not to normal range.  I'm hoping it keeps going up. I really want to start working out and start feeling good again. My surgeon said he's never had anyone lose their parathyroid function completely it's just a matter of when they wake up.  I was able to save all of mine.