Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Tapazole dose titration

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Tapazole dose titration
Hello Dr. Lupo!
I have Graves Disease (diagnosed end of Oct.2012) and will be seeing my doctor late next week for a follow up appointment.  I'm concerned about my recent blood work.  My results from 7 weeks ago (December 2012) indicated my free T4 and free T3 were in the mid normal range after being on Tapazole (15 mg) for about six weeks.  The TSH at that time was still stuck at .01.  I was told to continue the 15 mg (10 mg am; 5 mg pm) and go for blood work a couple of weeks before my appointment in late February.  Now fast forward 7 weeks later, I was expecting the TSH to still be stuck at .01 but no.  The TSH is now 5, the free T4 is 9 (normal 12 - 22) and my free T3 is now at 3.3 (normal 2.6 - 5.7).  Should I be concerned?  This looks like I'm now hypo.  Should I be looking at the TSH at this point as well?  Is this typical for the free T3 to still be in the normal range?  Do you suggest I contact my doctor sooner than wait til next week to discuss a dosage reduction?
Thanks so much!
Yes - the TSH is now the best indicator of thyroid function and the Tapazole dose will likely be reduced.  The hypothyroidism is mild, so this is not necesssarily urgent.