Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Tapdin etc

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Tapdin etc

Dear Doctor,

I started undergoing treatment for hyperthyroidism last june2012 and my endo initially gave me 20 mg Tapdin for about a month and it reacted well although my thyroid tests (TSH,T3 and T4) are not yet normal. Then in my 2nd check-up, she lowered the doses and added inderal for my tremors and fast heartbeat. On my 3rd checkup, TSH lowered up to <0.10 while T3  and T4 are near normal. She advised me to return to 20 mg dosage. I observed acne on my face and it irritated me. Could it be caused by the meds? And is it okay to return to 20mg Tapdin again? Thanks.
Acne is not common w/ Tapdin but is common w/ hyperthyroidism due to increased oily skin seen in some patients.  With antithyroid treatment the initial goal is to normalize T4 and T3; it may take several months to see the TSH begin to come up and it cannot be used to titrate medication until it comes up.
Thank you very much for the answer. So I have to watch for T3 and T4. I have two more 20mg Tapdin and four pcs of Inderal. I planned to stop my medication already since I am becoming sleepy always? Is it a sign that my TSH is normal already? I will be back to my endo on the 18th? Is it a right decision?

Thanks and God bless...