Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Tech99 scan

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Tech99 scan

Doc,

I've got a nodule in my right thyroid lobe, tsh 0,25 T4 23, lot's of ear pain, no leucocytosis, next monday FNA (again, first fna was inconclusive). My doc was thinking of Thyreoditis, Toxic adenoma, a benign nodule or maybe cancer. Personally i don't think its a toxic adenoma.
What do you think?

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/M-aartje/schildklier1.jpg

thanks!
If the TSH is stable and low -- ie not fluctuating like one would see in thyroiditis, then a I-123 scan (usually preferred over Tc99 scans) would be the next step before FNA to determine if the 3.3cm nodule is a "hot" nodule - in which case FNA is usually not indicated.  Even cystic nodules can be cancer...or hot...or benign/non-functioning.
By the way,  nodule  measures 3,3 cm by 2,5 cm by 1,6 cm. Could a most cystic nodule (adenoma) be malignant?

Thanks for reading, hope to get a answer.
Thanks doc!

Did you look at the photo I took off the tc99 scan? I'am very curious to know what you think about it. In may I had a miscarrige (11wks), end of july I felt the lump in my neck. Can thyroiditis occure after miscarrige and if so can the nodule be a sign of it and will it disappear spontaneously after the thyroid is cured?

I really want to get rid of it, (troubling swallowing, ear pain) is surgery an option?

Again thank you!,
Thanks Doc!

Did you look at the photo I took off the tc99 scan? I'am very curious to know what you think about it. In may I had a miscarrige (11wks), end of july I felt the lump in my neck. Can thyroiditis occure after miscarrige and if so can the nodule be a sign of it and will it disappear  after the thyroid is cured?

I really want to get rid of it (troubling swallowing, earpain) is surgery an option?

And again, thank you!