Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Throat Gland pain when swallowing
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Throat Gland pain when swallowing

For the last 7-8 days, I have a lot of pressure and pain right where my left throat gland is whenever I swallow. If I tilt my head all the way to the right...I have no pain when swallowing. Sometimes it feels like something is moving around when I swallow. Just sitting, I have slight pressure in the area. I've been trying to make a habit of moving my right ear towards my right shoulder when I swallow so I don't have any pain.

Any insight towards what this may be would be greatly appreciated.

Extra Note: 5 weeks post-op appendectomy...no complications.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Could be thyroid inflammation or a cyst with some bleeding into it....or unrelated to thyroid.  Would talk to your doctor and consider thyroid ultrasound.
4 Comments
Blank
Thanks for the info Dr. Lupo. As of today (about day 10), it seems completely gone. Yesterday I could barely tell it was there. Today I swallowed weird a couple of times and it felt like something was moving around.....but it doesn't feel like I have a golf ball wedged in my neck anymore.

Should I just wait and see if it recurs and then go see my physician? Could anything be found even though everything feels completely normal now?

Thanks again.
Blank
97953_tn?1193367871
still worth checking with your doctor.
Blank
Ok Thanks!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida