Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyrogen injections side effects

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyrogen injections side effects

On Monday and Tuesday of this week I had thyrogen injections to prepare for my rai scan today.  I have had this before and both times I get sick from the injections.  I guess I'm the one in a million that it happens to.  My question is that last night I had some very bad chest pains just to the right of my sternum.  It lasted for a half hour and then went away.  I could feel it in my back too.  Is this a side effect of the thyrogen too.  Is it something else or just possible stress/anxiety?  I don't want to put too much on it, but it kind of had me freaked out.

Also, is it normal for uptake from the scan to show in the throat almost 2 years past TT and ablation?  And in your intestine?
I have not seen this side effect -- may have been heartburn which I have seen.  Most common is headache.  

The intestine uptake is most likely physiologic -- ie, body trying to get rid of the iodine.  There may be some remnant in the neck (ie where the thyroid was) that still has some uptake.

I-131 scanning is not as sensitive as neck ultrasound (by an experienced person) and thyrogen stimulated Thyroglobulin levels.  These are the mainstay of follow-up.