Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroglobulin levels after TT and RaI?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroglobulin levels after TT and RaI?

Need you assistance.  I am a 38 y/o male, I am approx 185lbs. In the US Navy.  Can you tell me if my Thyroglobulin results were good or not. It was told to me the other day that it was at 0.2. My doc told me this is good to go and I do not need to worry. However I hear others that had around this level and needed to get another RAI?

I had a TT on Jan 07; RAI Mar 05 (Dosage (30 mci); Body Scan Mar 19 (Result clean).

Current lab levels as of 23 April;
TSH: 0.06
T-3 Total: 128
T-4 (Thyroxine): 14.0 H
QN Thyroglobulin W/O TGAB: 0.2

Pre-RAI Scan Thyroglobulin level 1.9

Also one other question: I  was wondering if a missing or non working thyroid has anything to do with the regulation of blood sugars. I have noticed since my removal I HAVE to eat now or I get extremely tired or the feeling of fainting. Is this normal? I used to be able to not eat (Crappy diet I used to have) without any problems and now I have this problem if I do not eat within a few hours. I luckly have not gained any weight at all I think I am at the same weight as before my surgery.  My real problem is I still have no energy even with the above lab levels and it is affecting my ability to exercise with the unit.  Any suggestions?  Do I need a T-3 to help with this?  Thank you!
The Tg of 0.2 looks great - esp so early in the treatment course.  Need to document negative Tg-antibodies to make sure the Tg is reliable.  But it looks like you had an excellent tx response w/o evidence of persistent disease. The TSH may be too low - try a dose decrease first (? goal 0.2-0.4 for now) and then consider combo T4/T3.
I forgot to mention I am currently on 150mcg of Levothyroxine.  I take this in the morning.  Thank you.
Thank you Doc.  Really appreciate your time.

Question, what blood tests do you order on TT patients?  Are the ones I mentioned the correct one or do you order different ones along with thiese one?
Also, what t-3/t-4 combo would you recommend?  Just the same T-4 and Cytomel?  I was on Cytomel for my first 2 weeks after the RAI and then after that 1st week I then started the Levo.