Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid levels

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid levels

I have received my blood test results today ( I have an appointment with my doctor Friday but they have told me over the phone that my TSH level is 0.56. I would like to know if this is a concern for my health? I have had an increase in my heart papitations and rapid heart rate lately, extreme fatigue and my hair is starting to fall out and thats a first for me. My sister has an underactive thyroid and is on medication for this.Hight colesterol is a factor as well for me and my sister,mother.
I wanted to find out if there is something I should ask my doctor when I go in or is 0.56 normal?
Thank you so much for answering my question?
Tammy
TSH of 0.56 is normal for most people -- would evaluate for other causes first.
According to the range my lab uses for TSH (.35 - 5.5) you would be on the low end of normal.  Low TSH usually indicates hyperthryroid.  Mine got down to .006 prior to TT
Hey, just a thought here - thyroid issues can also mess up cholesterol tests....have it checked again once it thyroid issues are taken care of.  Mine was way out of whack - just getting settled on meds after cancer and RAI.  I am scheduled to have fasting blood work again soon.  Hope everything turns out ok for you.
Peace, Charley
Im just curious do you think I should be concerned at this level before it gets lower?
I think I have a lot of the symptoms(heart palpetations,faster heart beats,fatigue,headaches,the last couple of months I have noticed my hair falling out)I have a lot of hair but if it keeps going I wont.
I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor but would like to get feedback before I go in. Do they have to wait for it to be below a certain level before they do something about it?
Thanks for your feedback
Tammy
Hey,
If you are having those symptoms - palpitations and the like, the doc will likely go ahead and put you on meds.  You are on the low end, and sounds to me like you are hyperthyroid.  Take heart, meds will help relieve your symptoms and get you back to normal!
Charley
Hi Charles
Thanks for your words this will help when I go see my doctor this afternoon. I would rather know more before I go in than after the fact.
Thanks so much and I will check back in after.
Tammy
do you get your ft3 & ft4 tested...i have the very same symptoms when hypo.....you also might want to get your iron and b12 ck'd...low iron can also cause some of the same issues..
just want to give you some ideas so you can cover all your bases...

c
To answer your question about Iron, I do have problems with my Iron level and at the moment it is a little below normal but I have had it much lower before and I take Iron pills for this.
I asked my doctor about the F3 and F4 and he brushed me off as usual and said theres nothing to worry about. Even though my heart palpatations are getting worse and my heart rate goes through the roof his comments were "ohhhhh your heart rate is high and my pressure too" and when i asked what it could be he told me "I'm not sure what to tell you" I told him it was freaking me out a bit and he said lets check in about six months.
I am so frustrated with my doctor.
I did get to see my blood work and I seen my cholesteral was high and my iron level a little low but he didnt tell me about the iron level being low.
I wish we had doctors to choose from were I live but thats not the case and untill something major happens in my health I dont see him doing anything and by then its gonna be too late.
( a lot of people from our town have been told by specialists that by the time we get to see them its too late for most of us.) Sad but true and I have relatives that can confirm that.
I think its there lack of concern or there burnt out Im not sure which it is. So you may see me back on here within six months asking more questions. Sorry for the long story I just find it so frustrating dealing with the doctors in my town.
Thanks for listening and thanks for your comments.
Tammy
sorry you are having such a hard time....maybe if you try compiling some ammo- meaning info about the problems others have due to t4 & t3 or studies that can be found on the net- it may help convice him....where are you located??
Im from Northern Ontario
The doctor I have doesnt like when you bring in outside information,papers or anything I have checked up on my own.
This makes it all the more difficult to deal with him and its not like we can switch doctors its either him or none. Like anything else I will have to wait it out until something worse happens health wise for him to stand up and take notice.
Sorry for all the negativity but Im at my wits ends with him. Thanks for your concerns and I will keep checking on here for more info.
Tammy