Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Cancer Recurrence Symptoms?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Cancer Recurrence Symptoms?

I had my surgery and iodine treatment in April 2009. My blood tests were fine when I went for my check up in April 2011, so I'm not having a radioactive scan this year, but my problem is my neck feels funny for the last few months and I believe it's getting worse. My doctor doesn't seem to worry if the blood test are fine.

It feels like maybe scar tissue is growing inside where my thyroid was. Somewhat like I have a collar that is too tight on my neck where my thyroid was.  Could it be the cancer is back or scar tissue?   Is this common?  
the feeling goes away sometimes and varies in intensity.
Would have ultrasound done as the blood test is helpful but does not always tell the whole story.  It could be scar tissue or an unrelated issue.