Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Dense Mass

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Dense Mass
CT Scan found a 1.8 x 16 cm ISO dense mass in the right thyroid lobe.  I have had an ulta sound of the mass and now I am having a biopsy this Wen. should I be concerned or is this something common?
This is relatively common (50% of adults will have nodules on ultrasound of the thyroid).   10% of these are cancer.  FNA biopsy is appropriate.
I'm assuming that's a 1.8 by 1.6 cm nodule. Common.  Most often often not cancer.  A Biopsy is usually painless.  Thyroid cancer typically doesn't kill people. Mostly like they may watch it if not cancer and not causing symptoms.
Dr.Lupo,you say 10% of thyroid nodules are cancer?! You and many others used to to say only about 5% are,and that 90-95% of thyroid nodules are benign! But I know in recent years there has been a real increase in finding small papillary thyroid cancers often found by accident,and even an increase in larger thyroid cancers.