Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Enlarged no answer why
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid Enlarged no answer why

Over a year ago during a routine exam my doctor noticed my thyroid was enlarged. She ran blood tests and ordered an ultrasound. She said she had been expecting the worst but my test were normal and that I had an Iodine deficiency.
She also said I am borderline diabetic and may have arthritis in my knee. (I am a 23 year old female)  
That was it.

So I forgot all about it since I wasn't prescribed with anything.
A year later and here I am: my thyroid still enlarged.
It wasn't until recently that I noticed how irregular my period has been and how intolerant I am to the cold especially in my hands and feet. How at times my heart  is in my ears. When I stand too quickly I get tunnel vision.

I decided to have a second opinion.
My blood results are

T3 Uptake 28
T4, Free (Direct) 1.15
Thyroxine (T4)  8.2
TSH 1.42

Anitithyroglobulin Ab 20
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 6

This new doctor said the results are normal.
Doctor is still waiting on my old blood work and ultrasound results to compare.
She also wants to follow up in a month and possibly have another ultrasound done.
As of right now she just wants to wait.
I don't enjoy the fatigue or the tingling sensations in my feet and calves. I know diagnosis don't happen overnight but any insight from anyone might ease my nerves? (Yes, I'm a bit of a worrywart)

Thank you to anyone who reads this.

97953_tn?1193367871
The thyroid labs are all completely normal, so the symptoms are not likely due to thyroid.  Normal thyroid labs does not mean there is not a goiter or nodule that needs separate evaluation, but a goiter/nodule would not cause your symptoms in the absence of abnormal thyroid labs.

Would consider checking potassium, calcium, B12 and vitamin D if not already done.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now