Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Metastasis

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Metastasis

Does a thyroid cancer have a typical pattern of spread?  In other words, would it spread to the glands in the neck BEFORE reaching the lungs or brain?  If so, would these neck metastases show on the ultrasound?  There's nothing quite like jumping the gun but I'm wondering if all the difficulty breathing I am having is due to something like the thyroid node I have (to be biopsied this week) and NOT the "slight" emphysema with which I have already been diagnosed.  Since finding out about the nodule two weeks ago the breathing has gotten consistently worse and I just don't believe it's anxiety.  It comes and goes during the day and leaves me very very fatigued.
It's unlikely this is related to the thyroid nodule. Do the FNA, see if it is even thyroid cancer before getting concerned about spread.  Most spread is local (in the neck) and not to the lungs or brain (these, fortunately, are relatively uncommon).
1 Comment
A related discussion, Bone Metasis was started.