Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Nodule--favor benign follicular nodule?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Thyroid Nodule--favor benign follicular nodule?

Hi, I have a solid right meddle lobe thyroid nodule 1.9 cm. with very pronounced internal color flow, had a FNA and the report states as follows: Favor Benign, rare colloid, degenerating follicular cells with hurthle cell changes and intracytoplasmic pigment are present, favor benign follicular nodule.  My question is my family doc states report is benign, just wanted to be sure as there are hurthle cell changes. Thanks
97953_tn?1193367871
Hurthle changes are common and should not be thought of as suspicious in this context.  Would follow the nodule with ultrasound to confirm stability as about 5-7% (nationwide average) of "benign" FNAs are incorrect.
2 Comments
Blank
HI,

I know I'm not a doctor,but if you see my post on here now which Dr.Mark Lupo answered,you will see that I had similar FNA description(done in 2008) as yours with Hurthle cell changes,and one of the top University of Penn thyroid pathologists,who gave me a second opinion on my FNA results,explained to me that he could have Hurthle cells in his thyroid,children have them and that they are normally in the thyroid,it's only when you have a large amount of them like 75% or more,that it's likely to be cancer to worry about.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now