Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Nodule Highly Vascular

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Nodule Highly Vascular

Hi I am 34 and was diagnosed with a nodule in mid right lobe, the thyroid was slightly swollen and left lobe appears to be vascular with an area of 6x6x5mm thses findings were performed via US. My TSH was low on labs but still within range. They did not do the better blood panel yet to test for the anti-bodies etc. but that will be done soon. I was told my nodule wich is taller than it is wide, and is almost 2 cm. They said that it was highly vascular and therefore seemed suspicious. What I want to know is that is there anyway that all of the radiation that I have gotten over past 4 years and the lack of iodized salt in my diet can have created this to be cancerous. Also is not wise for me to just get this thing removed and they can play with at the lab... I would rather forego this FNA get to the point since it has taken this long to get them to do the US and REAL labe.... I just have a creeping feeling that it is. The last few times I listened to my gut instinct I saved my life. (had aprox 10 MRI scans CT scans prob more Xrays I would guess 30) (sports related injuries and a few car accidents, actually the last accident I was in is why they saw nodule) Also why is my left eye red swollen and is visibly being pushed forward. It friggin hurts... I hope this goes away after getting fixed...
If I understand correctly, you have a 2 cm right sided nodule that has suspicious ultrasound features and a small 0.6 cm left-sided nodule that is not currently of a concern.  The TSH was low but within the normal range.  FNA biopsy is usually the next step.  Diagnostic imaging with MR or CT scanning is not likely to significantly increase the risk of thyroid nodules or cancer but this is a remote possibility.  With the left eyes symptom I would also recommend screening for Graves' disease the TSH receptor antibodies.