Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Nodules and chest pain?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Nodules and chest pain?

Hi! I'm a 33 year old female and I found a lump in my neck last month that turned out to be my thyroid.  After an u/s, I found out the right lobe is enlarged with two nodules - one is 2.3 cm and the other is .9 cm.  They are both complex nodules.  I have three nodules on my left lobe that are quite small and are "insignificant" based on the u/s report.  

I'm scheduled to see an endocrinologist at the end of Sept and in the meantime (only after some persistence on my part) am scheduled a FNA biopsy on the two larger nodules in about three weeks.  Three doctors now (two at my g.p. office and the endo) have all said that my chances of cancer are very low and they all think that I have the beginnings of a goiter. Hence, none of them saw the need to rush for a biopsy and thought it could wait until I was seen by the endo at the end of Sept.  I didn't want to wait that long.

Along with my enlarged nodule, I've been experiencing some dull, intermittent chest pain on my right side as well.  Can this be caused by the nodule?  I understand that esophagus spasms can cause chest pain and was thinking maybe the fact that my thyroid is pushing on my esophagus and causing the pain?  I don't have trouble breathing and am also not experiencing a cough.  Of course my worst fear is that I have thyroid cancer that has spread to my right lung.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this very dull ache in my chest?

Many thanks,
Tracy

It is unlikely that the nodules are causing the chest pain.  Nodules are more likely to cause swallowing problems than esophogeal spasm -- and it's usually large left nodules that do this.  A dull ache in the chest in an otherwise healthy female could be costochondritis -- esp if the ache increases when pushing on that area.  Esophogeal Reflux (acid indigestion) can do this as well.  It would be unusual for this to be related to a thyroid cancer that spread -- so I doubt that is the case.

FNA biopsy is appropriate -- hopefully it's being done under U/S guidance.