Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Nodules too small for FNA - what now?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I'm a 24 year old female, generally in very good health until the last 2 years. I've been having all sorts of weird symptoms for a while now, the most persistant of which are extreme fatigue, muscle/joint pain especially in my hips (can't walk well some days), weight gain, hoarse voice and sore throat/neck, mental sluggishness/no memory, always freezing and lately depression - i don't know if that's an actual symptom or just because i am so tired of being tired and sick.

I have had a slew of diagnostic tests - most normal -  and my doctor was about to refer my to a rheumatologist, thinking fibromyalgia, when he ordered an ultrasound of my neck/thyroid. i've had this sore and swollen neck for two months now and antibiotics are no help.

The ultrasound revealed two nodules on my thyroid, one is 0.7 cm and the other is only 0.5 cm. My family doctor wanted me to get the biopsy right away because i have been doing so bad but the testing center's guidelines say they will only do it on nodules 1 cm and above...

so what am i supposed to do now? i feel like i am at the end of my rope or on the verge of losing it. i can't stand being sick and tired all of the time. i am waiting to hear from my family doc, but he has pretty much told me he has no idea what's going on with me, so i just want to know what else i can do to resolve this.

please help.
These nodules are small and should likely be observed without biopsy.  It is unlikely that these small nodules would cause any symptoms.  I assume your thyroid blood tests are normal.
i havent had blood tests for thyroid levels in about 2 years, at which time they were normal - is it likely that they changed?
Yes...your thyroid levels can change over the course of a month!!!  Ask for another set of thyroid related blood tests!!!!  I have heard that if a nodule is under 1cm they will not biopsy it.  I think your symptoms sound like a high TSH, not cancer.