Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Peroxidase Ab

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Peroxidase Ab

My thyroid test results show:
TSH  2.66
FT4  15.8
FT3  4.19
Thyroid Peroxidase Ab  472 on a scale of 0-35

What does such a high Thyroid Peroxidase Ab level mean, everything else is normal?

Thank you
Positive antibodies against TPO suggest that the immune system is attacking the thyroid -- most commonly this is due to Hashimoto's and carries an increased rate of developing hypothyroidism.  

Would check thyroid ultrasound for nodules and goiter.  Then in absense of any hypothyroid symptoms simply observe.
http://www.medicinenet.com/thyroid_peroxidase_test/article.htm
early stage of thyroid autoimmune disease Hashimoto's thyroiditis
But I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroidits about 8 years ago.  Why would it be so high now?  I don't have a doctor's appointment until July 20.

Thyroid antibody levels may rise in response to trauma, dysbiosis, inflammation (including thyroiditis) and progressive thyroid degeneration.

Good Luck.
Just found this site.  Thank goodness.  Just got some lab results back also-my Thyroid Peroxidase AB level was 806
(no that is not a typo)
My other results are Free T4 (0.58), TSH (6.96), T 3 Uptake (25.6)
I also have low B 12 levels.
My symptoms (typical Hypothyroidism and Fibromyalgia symptoms) have increased over the years and I now feel that some days it is hard to get out of bed-the bottoms of my feet hurt the most.  I am forty years old and overweight but have always been very active-you have to be to teach first grade!
I have had periods of depression and take Cybalta (30 mg) to help in the pain that I have experienced with the loss of my parents.

I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos for 10 years now.  I have been on synthroid for 9 of those years until this past year I began to take Cytomel. I did 6 months of 25 mcg and now I am on 50 mcg.  since the higher dose of Cytomel. With the increased dosage of Cytomel-it has been a week now- I am still having all of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism along with the Fibromyalgia symptoms.  The increased dose of Cytomel gave me headaches (on the left side of my head) for the first few days and I am still experiencing heart flutters and dizziness.  
I began B 12 shots and will have those on a monthly basis until my levels increase.  

Hopefully I am on the right track (I think I have a good doctor) but I am concerned about the high antibody levels and the heart flutters.  I am desperate to feel better and scared that I will be unable to return to work in the fall. Anyone have any advice for me or feel the same way?
A related discussion, Abnormal thryoid test - suggestions was started.
A related discussion, hypothyroid question was started.
A related discussion, Non Celiac Gluten Intolerece and Dairy was started.
A related discussion, Just got TPO back at 2100... was started.
A related discussion, Graves, now hypo was started.