Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Question

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Question
I had Ultrasound for lump in my neck 12/09.  Found two nodules in the left thyroid.  1.5 cm and .8mm.  Had another ultrasound 6/13/11 and found the same two nodules now 1.7cm and still .8mm.  But now on the right thyroid there are four small nodules.  My question is it has been about 18 months.  Is it normal for a nodule to continue to grow?  And,  now with the new ones are they going to continue to grow?  Should I be worried.  I have had a cough since last October and while I don't have breathing problems I do feel like something is constantly irritating my throat.  Could this be my thyroid causing this cough and irritation?  I am totally lost.  I did have FNA biopsy after first ultrasound.  With growth of only.2mm on the largest nodule should I have to go through another biopsy?  Thank you anyone who answers.
These are small nodules.
The increase from 1.5 to 1.7cm is not likely significant and if the first FNA was benign, then we don't repeat FNA usually until there is more significant change than this (for example if >2cm).  Nodules may grow with time - that is not uncommon.  New nodules will also pop up over time.  The cough and irritation is not likely due to thyroid - the more common cause is acid reflux (even in the absence of typical heartburn symptoms).
My doctor has since ordered Nuclear Medicine Uptake and Scan.  What will this help find out.  I am breast cancer survivor, would this make any difference in how this thyroid condition or problem is worked up?  What are your thoughts on this.  Should I be concerned?  Thank you!