Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Removal and Weight Management
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid Removal and Weight Management

My thyroid gland was removed twenty years ago due to Thyroid Cancer.  I have been overweight all my life.  But, at Thanksgiving this year, my brother calculated my BMR for me and I began losing four to five pounds a month.  In February, my doctor prescribed two new meds:  Alesse to control my irregular menstrual cycle and iron for anemia.  Since March, my weight loss has stalled, even though I am still counting calories and burning five hundred calories five days a week at the gym.  Could the cause of the stall be either of the new meds?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
oral contraceptive can affect weight.   Also, once you've lost 10-15% of your body weight, weight loss typically plateaus and it is more difficult to continue losing.
3 Comments
Blank
97953_tn?1193367871
with the addition of an estrogen (alesse) -- the thyroid medication dose may need increase -- ask for the thyroid to be retested.
Blank
Thanks for the advice.  I'll get my thyroid level retested and see if the estrogen is affecting my levels.  I do have another concern, though.  Since starting the Alesse, I have had several people tell me that people with thyroid problems shouldn't take birth control because of the hormone interaction.  Is it a bad idea to take estrogen when I don't have a thyroid gland?  Also, I read on a website (Mayo Clinic or WebMD, don't remember) that taking iron can interfere with your levels.  Is this true?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now