Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Removal

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Removal

I'm a 22 yr old female working and going to school and wondering if I should get my thyroid removed. I have hashimotos disease and with that hypothyroidism. I've had a benine tumor taken out of my neck a few years ago...but other than that have been able to regulate (for the most part) my TSH with some medication. Since my thyroid has no function to me, because I'm already taking medication to give me what my thyroid won't I've been wondering if I should just take it out. I'm not sure what side-effects could come from it.

Since I already have hypothyroidism and hashimotos I have already gone through experiencing fatigue, and all the symptoms with that. Because of my goiter, it makes it hard to swallow food sometimes, so It seems like a fair thought to just remove my thyroid, maybe it would relieve some pressure in my neck.

Would it really matter for my case if my thyroid was taken out?
The indications for thyroid surgery include a biopsy suspicious for cancer or definite compressive symptoms due to goiter.  Removing the thyroid in a patient with Hashimoto's does not aid in the regulation of thyroid hormone replacement therapy.  Therefore the focus should be on the goiter symptoms and if they are truly causing day-to-day problems then discussion of surgery with your endocrinologist is warranted.
I would suggest not to remove the thyroid. Try the natural techniques I have suggested in this forum, to get the thyroid towards normal function.No glands in the body are useless.
December 4 ,2011