Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Scan I 123

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Scan I 123

My doctor just ordered an  I 123 Scan.  I'm a bit confused about what the test involves and what the associated risks of injesting a radioactive tablet.

Also, will I be a "radioactive danger" to my 1-year old son?

I'm really very anxious, so any insight is appreciated!
Hi, I had my 123-uptake scan done about 3 weeks ago, Its really not as frighting as it sounds you will go in and they will give you a pill that They wont touch but, you have to swollow  hmmm! they will send you home and have you come back about 6 hr. later and they will take appox. 4 pictures and send you home again only to have you return again the next day they will place this instrument on your leg. the 1 and 3 visit only takes about 15 min the 2 visit takes about 45 min, Also I have 3 small children and was given no special instructions on care around them, I belive the dose they give you is such a small amount that there are virtully no risk! It will tell the Dr. alot about whats going on in your thyroid   hope i gave you a little relife take care!!!
Hi,  I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and I was reading your post about the thyroid uptake scan.  The scan is very safe with no side effects, it is a 2 day exam.  The first day you come and take a radioactive Iodine 123 pill(the reason we don't touch it is becasuse it is radioactive,  and we deal with this radiation daily therefore we have to be very safe on the amount of radiation we get).  We will have you come back in 6hr to take 4 pictures and count the uptake of the thyroid, this usually takes about 45 min.  day 2 we have you come back and all we do is count the uptake of the thyroid, this usually takes 10-15 min.  You mentioned you have a one year old,  You will be slightly radioactive,  you will not be able to breast feed for 32 hrs so you may need to pump.  you also need to limit you contact with you son for about 18-20 hrs.  you may be in the same room and you can give him a hug, kiss what ever don't just hold him for long periods of time.  3 feet distance is the best.  hope this helps..........