Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Test

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid Test

I was diagnosed with Graves disease in Sept 2006 - went for the rai in sept 2006 - turned hypo in Dec 2006 - on 112 synthyroid - and had a normal blood test in april 2007- I have recently had vertigo and am losing hair in my eyebrow - asked my dr. to test me again - received the test results - tsh is 3.83 normal range .40 to 5.50 - t4 free is 1.4 normal range .8 to 1.8 - t3 free is 259 normal range is 230- to 420 - my thyroid peroxidase ab is 837 normal range is 35 - thryoglobulin ab is 41.4 normal is less then 20 - What does this mean - my doctor seems to think i am fine.  I think i need to see a new doctor - i am trying to get pregnant - and feel this is affecting this.
The Ab levels are consistent with the history of autoimmune thyroid disease (Graves).

The TSH is too high, esp if trying to become pregnant.  Would work with an endocrinologist to keep TSH in the 0.4-2.0 range.

When pregnant, ask your endo or OBGYN to test TSI/TBII levels sometime in the second trimester -- if these are high (>3x normal) then there is a small risk of the baby developing Graves and close monitoring would be necessary.  The RAI ablated your thyroid, but the immune system problem which caused it may still exist (ie, TSI/TBII antibodies, aka TSH receptor antibodies) -- this happens no matter how the graves is treated, not just with RAI.
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and know exactly where you are coming from....My thyroid is 3.0 and the DR said it was fine....The new guidlines are .3-3.0 so you are too high for sure....I aa also trying to conceive and feel this is an issue as well for me. I was diagnosed with Graves and now I am Hypo....I liked being go go go better... :( I am always tired Is this true about the correct Thyroid reading max 2.0 to conceive??? I am so frustrated cause everyone tells you you are fine but you are not.....I hope your TSH reading comes down....Good Luck...
I am going for a 2nd opinion on Monday July 2nd to see what this doctor thinks my levels should be at - i did talk my current endo into increasing my medication but it was like pulling teeth.  I also miss be hyper - i liked having engery - now i have none when i am done with work i can not doing anything else but sit around - i was never like this but am unable to function like before.