Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Ultrasound Results
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid Ultrasound Results

I had a follow-up Thyroid ultrasound, very disturbing. Increased vascularity noted within the gland. Right lobe measures 6.4cm x1.8cm x1.8cm. Left lobe measures 6.3cm x1.6cm x 1.8cm. The left has slightly increased from the previous exam. The isthmus is 4.3mm thick with a hypervascular nodule in the isthmus measuring 10.7mm x 4.5mm x7.3mm.

On the R, several subcentimeter hypoechoic and heterogenous nodules noted. The largest is in the mid lobe measuring 6.8mm x 5.9mm x 4.7mm with increased vascularity.

On the L, several subcentimeter heterogenous nodules are now noted. (Meaning they weren't there the previous ultrasound)? The largest measures 9.4mm x 4.7mm x 5.7mm.  Increased vascularity is present.

Then also noted on the report it says; prominent lymph nodes are noted along the jugular chain and submandibular region, the largest measuring 21.2mm x6.2mm on the right and 12.9mm x 5.4mm on the left.

This is the third follow-up ultrasound I have had.  I do not have the others to compare it to; however, I have complained of hoarseness and feeling like something is in my throat and choking.  For the last 5 months I have been hoarse continuously, not off and on anymore.  I went to an ENT who said my vocal chords were swollen, additionally my ears are painful all the time.

This report does not sound good to me, but I would like your opinion so when I go to the doctor on the 10th I have information.  I feel something else needs to be done and not another follow-up ultrasound in another year.
97953 tn?1440868992
The thyroid is slightly enlarged with multiple small nodules - sometimes the technician does not record all nodules if there are multiple small ones - so hard to conclude these are "new" - would correlate with TPO antibody and TSH to see if this may be autoimmune thyroid changes on ultrasound.  This is not likely to cause hoarseness and vocal cord inflammation - that sounds more like acid reflux (even w/o heartburn) or post-nasal drip from sinus congestion (or both).
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703