Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid Ultrasound Results
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid Ultrasound Results

An MRI showed a thyroid mass.  Doctor then sent me to have an ultrasound.  Findings are:  Right lobe 5.1 x 2.2 x 2.0 cm.  Left lobe 4.0 x 1.2 x 1.9 cm.  Both lobes and isthmus are heterogenous.  There are discrete nodules noted.  These occur bilaterally.  The largest is in the right lobe inferiorly and measures 11 x 8 x 12 mm.  It is echogenic.  Most of the nodules are hyperechoic.
Impression:  Findings are most compatible with multinodular goiter with the nodules reflecting areas of adenomatous hyperplasia, follicular adenomas, and/or complicated colloid cysts.  Ultrasound cannot predict histology.  Malignancy accounting for those nodules is not completely excluded but unlikely.
I have taken 1.25 synthroid for 4 years - no issues and levels fine per my doctor.  He is now schedulinga Nuclear scan.  I would like to know what this information means and if it is something that should be troubling or concerning at this time.  You can see a thickening in the right side of my neck.