Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid and Massive Hair loss
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid and Massive Hair loss

When 8 weeks pregnant my obgyn found my tsh was a 5 but t3 & t4 were ok. They put me on levothyroxine 50mcg daily. I have taken this throughout my pregnancy and now 1 1/2 years after delivery I'm still taking the same dosage. My obgyn has retested my levels and they were normal after birth so I kept at the same dosage. I have recently been working at losing weight and have lost 45 lbs in the last 5 months. My problem is that the last 2 months my hair is falling out massively. Like 50-100 hairs a day. My drain is stopped up every night. I have gone from having a lot of thick hair to very little hair. I had my tsh checked and it was a 5 but t3 & t4 were still ok. My obgyn wants to wait to recheck blood work in a month but I will be bald by then. I also have been feeling more sluggish, palpitations and not sleeping well. My weight loss has also gone from 1-3 lbs a week to 0-1 lbs a week and i'm doing the same nutrition plans and exercises.  I don't know what steps I should take to figure this all out.
97953_tn?1193367871
Would increase thyroid med, document TPO antibody (to confirm this is hashimoto's and likely life-long thyroid replacement needed) and recognize that significant weight loss can cause hair loss.  Target TSH 0.5-1.5.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now