Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid and Massive Hair loss
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid and Massive Hair loss

When 8 weeks pregnant my obgyn found my tsh was a 5 but t3 & t4 were ok. They put me on levothyroxine 50mcg daily. I have taken this throughout my pregnancy and now 1 1/2 years after delivery I'm still taking the same dosage. My obgyn has retested my levels and they were normal after birth so I kept at the same dosage. I have recently been working at losing weight and have lost 45 lbs in the last 5 months. My problem is that the last 2 months my hair is falling out massively. Like 50-100 hairs a day. My drain is stopped up every night. I have gone from having a lot of thick hair to very little hair. I had my tsh checked and it was a 5 but t3 & t4 were still ok. My obgyn wants to wait to recheck blood work in a month but I will be bald by then. I also have been feeling more sluggish, palpitations and not sleeping well. My weight loss has also gone from 1-3 lbs a week to 0-1 lbs a week and i'm doing the same nutrition plans and exercises.  I don't know what steps I should take to figure this all out.
97953 tn?1440868992
Would increase thyroid med, document TPO antibody (to confirm this is hashimoto's and likely life-long thyroid replacement needed) and recognize that significant weight loss can cause hair loss.  Target TSH 0.5-1.5.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703