Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid cancer and racing heart?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid cancer and racing heart?

I have just recently been diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and have just recently been dealing with a racing heart that last all day long. Usually I would just assume that this is because of work but it starts as soon as i get out of bed and last all day even if im just laying around being lazy. I was just wondering if there was anything that i could do to stop it I have surgery in 6 days but mot sure if i can deal with this until then its gotten the point where i cant eat because im so uncomfortable.  
97953_tn?1193367871
Would discuss this with your doctor -- usually thyroid cancer does not cause racing heart but thyroid medication can as well as anxiety about cancer/surgery.  We often use medications called beta-blockers (metoprolol, propranolol, atenolol are examples) to help in such situations.
2 Comments
Blank
When I was hyperthyroid for a short time my heart would race all day. Until now it races sometimes. If your thyroid is overactive it could Definately be a cause - but perhaps adding to it, are you anxious about the operation in 6 days and may be that's part of it? In any case I wish you luck with your operation and I am very sorry to have read about your loss. Lena
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now