Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid level

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid level

I have been taking 112 mcg of Synthroid steady for about a year now.....recently, Fla. has been approved for the generic and I filled it.  I have taken it for about a month.  When I went for my semi-annual blood levels, my level was high (4.4).  My doctor feels that the generic is not predicable and not as accurate as Synthroid.  I have filled my prescription for brand 112 mcg and hope to see a difference in my "foggy" moods in a week or so.  My question is, should I go with the 125 mcg of synroid right away and check blood levels in 8 weeks or stay with the 112 mcg synthroid and hope that my levels are good in 6 months?  I had a nodule a couple of years ago that disappeared.  I'm concerned that it will re-appear if i go 6 months......what is your advice?

Thank you!
usually would resume the brand at 112mcg then recheck in 6 weeks.  
Your levels are way too high.   The normal range is actually 0.3 - 3.0 and you would probably feel better around 0.50 - 1.0 if you hashimotos.  You should definitely be geting your blood checked every 6-8 weeks right now until you get it under control.  6 months is too long in my opinion.  In fact, I get mine checked at least every 3 months.  

As far as increasing the dose, the best way to do it is gradually.  If there is a dosage between 112 and 125, I  would take that.  Then increase up to 125 after 2-3 weeks.  That way it's not so much of an increase in your system at one time, which can cause some not-so-fun symptoms!

Make sure they test your free T4, free T3 and your TSH and if you've never had your antiobodies tested, it would be could to get those as well.  If your doctor is being uncooperative, you can go to healthcheckusa.com and order the test yourself.  They have labs in your area where you can be tested, and they will email you the test results.

Finding a good doc who will work with you is the best thing you can do.

Good luck!

I forgot to add.  I noticed you mentioned you've switched from Synthroid to generic.  Some people (me included) have issues on the generic  -- something with the way it's made or the batches, etc.  Something to think about.  Synthroid is pretty cheap so it's not like the generic makes that much of a difference.

You could also do better on something like armour or thyrolar....it's finding what's best for YOU.  

Thank you for your comments!  I should have said that my doctor wants me to go on 125 mcg and recheck blood levels in 6-8 weeks.........I think I've decided to do that!  Yes....I do like my doctor....but I will keep your info just in case.

Thanks again!