Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid levels off and now found a suspicious nodule

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1997.  However, the first of this year...they did my bloodwork and said I was now hyperthyroid and my TSH results were way low .01,(normal is .4 to 4.5) my T3 levels were within range...but my Free T4 levels were high.  My levoxyl dosage at that timei was 200 mcg but I had not been regularly taking it.  So I took it regularly for 2 months and they retested in March.  Numbers still off with no change in TSH.. So they lowered med to 175.  Retested in May.  My T4 free Thyroxine came down enough to be within normal range,but my TSH still at .01.  They lowered my med to 150. Retested in June. TSH still .01.  So they kept me on 150.  retested in Sept.  Finally TSH went up from .01 to .02 (long way to go still to get to .4 for normal).  So I finally went to an indocronologist a couple of weeks ago.  She did ultrasound of my thyroid, found a nodule that was susipicous, did a FNA biopsy that came back 40% suspicious.  She recommends removal of total thyroid.  This news came on friday of last week.  I am now confused about what does 40% susipicous mean?  I think she said 5% is benign and 70% is cancerous  so at my level of suspicion, they recommend removal.  They did the genetic test as well.  Can anyone explain to me what she is talking about re: percentages?
It sounds like you've had an Afirma test by Veracyte.  A suspicious result on this carries a 40-50% risk of malignancy.  That might be but she is talking about.  The other possibility is that the cytology was suspicious then that carries a 60-70% risk of malignancy.  In either case surgeries usually recommended.