Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid levels question
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid levels question

I have all the symptoms of hypothryroidism but, my doc. say the lab tests are all normal. I had a test in Jan.07 for TSH that was 1.299, in Aug. of 07 (TSH) of 1.031, again in Feb, 2008, I had the T4 which was 1.20 and the T3 which was 3.5. Are they normal or is somebody missing something. I'm always cold, constipation, hair loss, etc. If it isn't my thyroid what is it. The doc.'s have done every test possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kelli
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Only about 30% of people with "classic hypothyroid" symptoms actucally have a thyroid problem -- this is b/c the symptoms are suggestive of, but not specific for, thyroid disease.  Your numbers are very normal, so would work with your doctor to determine the underlying cause of these symptoms.
2 Comments
Blank
I assume the levels you reported are the Free T's, correct?   And if so, those levels look good.

There are so many reasons why one could be cold and have hair loss.

Some other areas to assess would be your  1)  Ferritin (iron storage) level.
                                                                2)  Aldosterone/Renin levels (regulate sodium/potassium in system and thus is good to check the sodium and postassium levels along with the a/r tests).  Aldosterone is an adrenal hormone.  Low aldosterone can cause dry/brittle hair, constipation and dry nails.  
                                                               3)  Cortisol levels (also an adrenal hormone)
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now