Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid nodules and hypothyroidism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid nodules and hypothyroidism

Hi, I am 33 and found a lump on my thyroid May17th. I had an US that found multiple nodules all over 1 cm with the largest being 3.4cm x 2.7cm. I saw an ENT spec June 17 and he said it looks like I'm on the road to thyroid failure with a TSH of 8.2 I have been extremely sluggish with lack of motivation and feeling drugged and confused some days. I just started my period agin which is the 4th time in the past 41 days. I had an FNA done at the end of July where they wer quirying one of the nodules as a liquifying adenoma, whatever that is. No results yet. I have gained 20 lbs in less than 3 months. Help???
Would retest TSH now to confirm still high, along w/ TPO antibodies to document if this is Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most common cause of hypothyroid). Adenomas are benign nodules and once they are >2cm they tend to degenerate in the middle causing cyst fluid to form.