Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid nodules
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid nodules

I was pregnant in 2010 and my doc said that my thyroid felt enlarged so he sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. These are my results:

Right thyroid size: 4.5x2.2x2.2cm volume 10.9cc
Small hypoechogenicity identified ovoid in shape in the inferior pole of the right thyroid gland measuring 3.6x5.4x3mm. No vascularity identified within this legion

The left thyroid gland identified measuring 5.2x1.8x2.2cm volume of 10.2cc

Tiny hypoechogenicities identifies in the inferior aspect of the left thyroid gland measuring 3x2x4mm no significant vascularity. The isthmus is mildly prominent 6mm

Well I never followed up with the doctor. It's 2014 now and I went to my primary doc and he ordered a tsh w/reflex to t4 lab and it's .46. Is that bad? I'm getting a new ultrasound but were my ultrasound results from 2010 horrible? Could I have cancer?????
97953_tn?1193367871
These are very small nodules that do need periodic followups and repeat ultrasound is reasonable.  The risk of cancer for thyroid nodules is about 5-10%.  TSH is normal at 0.46.  This sounds like a low risk thyroid situation.
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your input. I wish I hadn't put it off so long. Can nodules disappear?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank