Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid question

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid question
My son was born with his thyroid being high from what I was told it is normally 5 and his was almost 1000.  Thank God the doctors caught it as fast as they did cause it could have cause retardation.  He has been taking synthroid  since birth the medication has lowered the T3 and T4 in normal range.  The doctors cant get the TSH levels down in the normal range last blood work came back and its over 60.  Why is it that the doctors cant get the level down?  He is taking 50 mcg now and still has not worked.  
He may need a higher dose.  I assume you are working w/ a pediatric endocrinologist on this.