Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid treatment and eradication of Arrythmia
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thyroid treatment and eradication of Arrythmia

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 2 years ago, following the diagnosis of coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis. Within a year I had persistent arterial fibrillation. My TSH is around 15. A tiny amount of levothyroxin (levothyroxine) exacerbates the arrythmia (0.25mg); it sends the heart into further stress. If I can improve the situation of the thyroid might the arrythmia disappear? But without thyroxin I don't know how to do it. What would you suggest?

Past history includes: no oxytocin in labour 27 years ago - possible developing pituitary problem? Hypersensitivity of all senses but especially hearing. Adrenal failure has been suggested supported by negative DHEA on testing. Failure of thyroid uptake suggested - high ALT level now 79iu/L - lowish platelet count 188 - lowish free T4 14.4.

I am taking a good mix of vitamin supplements plus minerals which include some iodine.