Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Toddler Hypothyroid?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Toddler Hypothyroid?

My 24-month old has been slowly dropping height percentiles (started at 50%, down to 20% this past year).  They finally tested her TSH and T4 and her TSH came back as 4.73 and her T4 was "normal" (I don't know the value).  They are debating what to do next.  I am also hypothyroid (usually around 5.5 TSH or so, went up to about 15 when pregnant, currently on 88 micrograms of levoxyl).

My question is:  should they treat her?  What are the risks and benefits of treating and not treating?

Also, is anemia related to hypothyroidism?  I've always been anemic, and so is she.  My other daughter, for comparison, eats the same things, is 80% height and is never anemic.

Thank you so much!