Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Unstable TSH

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Unstable TSH
I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 1995 and had radioactive iodine in 1996. Since this time, I have not been able to maintain a "normal" TSH for more than a few months. My dr just started me on Synthroid .5 mcg (from Synthroid 112) and added Cytomel 5 mcg 1x a day. He also put me on Propranolol 20mg 2x a day to decrease the hyperthyroid symptoms. My TSH was .0273 and I am worried that I am going to swing the other way.. what is this new dose equal to? I feel sedated and dizzy on the Propranolol and am wondering is this will pass, I am only taking half of my dose. I am a 35 year old female, 5'4 and I weigh 118. I am also on an estrodial patch for a complete hyterectomy at age 30. I am frustrated with the lack of quality of life I have and would appreciate any feedback.
50mcg synthroid with 5mcg cytomel = 70 mcg synthroid, so this is a big decrease from 112mcg (which lowered TSH to < 0.1 -- so a dose decrease was appropriate).  Would retest in 4 weeks to see if the doses need titration. If the propranolol was only needed to block symptoms of excess thyroid, then this should be temporary.