Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Unstable TSH
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Unstable TSH

I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 1995 and had radioactive iodine in 1996. Since this time, I have not been able to maintain a "normal" TSH for more than a few months. My dr just started me on Synthroid .5 mcg (from Synthroid 112) and added Cytomel 5 mcg 1x a day. He also put me on Propranolol 20mg 2x a day to decrease the hyperthyroid symptoms. My TSH was .0273 and I am worried that I am going to swing the other way.. what is this new dose equal to? I feel sedated and dizzy on the Propranolol and am wondering is this will pass, I am only taking half of my dose. I am a 35 year old female, 5'4 and I weigh 118. I am also on an estrodial patch for a complete hyterectomy at age 30. I am frustrated with the lack of quality of life I have and would appreciate any feedback.
97953_tn?1193367871
50mcg synthroid with 5mcg cytomel = 70 mcg synthroid, so this is a big decrease from 112mcg (which lowered TSH to < 0.1 -- so a dose decrease was appropriate).  Would retest in 4 weeks to see if the doses need titration. If the propranolol was only needed to block symptoms of excess thyroid, then this should be temporary.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now