Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Waiting for Thyroid Surgery Date

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Waiting for Thyroid Surgery Date

I have a large substernal goiter. I have seen the surgeon in October. I am on a waiting list for surgery. I have now developed a stiff neck. My neck is really crampy when I wake up.I have been waking up during the night do to this stiffness. During the day it seems to subside. I have now noticed my neck is getting larger. Has anyone had these side effects. I am starting to get scarred, for I know that my trachea and larynx  is pushed over to my right shoulder. I am scarred that this will choke me, or cause other problems. Any information on this is greatly appreciated.
Choking sensation/cough is more common than stiffness, but it sounds like surgery is the right direction -- tell your doctor you are having more symptoms -- may help move you up the wait list.
I just had a substernal goiter out on Sept.I slept on 2 pillows on my side to level out mt neck and so I could breathe.I say the sooner you get the thing out the better.I am still sore where they cut through the sternum and they found cancer in the goiter.So all in all I glad I had the surgery.
It is scarey to have this thing in your chest.I would be bugging the docs everyday till I got a surgery date .If you have anymore questions I will be happy to answer what I can.
Love Venora
I, too, had a very large substernal goiter on the (R) side of my neck which had caused my trachea to be displaced. The other symptoms I had was an obvious "fat neck" and sometimes it would be uncomfortable sleeping on that side.
About 6 mos ago I had a TT for the removel (removal) of my thyroid. The operation was performed the usual way in which the thyroid was removed through my neck and my sternum did not have to be cut. My surgeon told me that usually a substernal goiter can be removed that way since on the operating table (when you are asleep) your neck is distended all the way back so that the thyroid can be removed. My surgery lasted 2 1/2 hrs and I only had to stay overnight in the hospital. Aside from stiffness in my neck and a feeling of having a "bad sore throat" I had very little pain - didn't even need to take any pain meds in the hospital. My sore throat lasted about 3 days and everyday the stiffness lessened.
Now, I am so glad that I had the surgery - my neck is small again, the scar barely noticeable. You will do fine. If you have any questions, please ask.
The best of luck to you.
Thank-you for your reply's. I will call my doctor tomorrow. I hope that I will be able to have this goiter removed through my neck. The doctor said he will try, but will have the sternotomy doctor there. Thanks again. I will post what the doctor says.
Hello everyone, I am going to have surgery on my thyroid for my suspecious papillary cancer on 11 Jan.  I would like to know what to expect from the surgery and after the surgery up until I have my possible I131.
Thanks!
Scott
Hi Scott!
If you're looking for comments from the doctor I would submit a new question to him. He doesn't seem to read anything past the original post. If  you want to meet and talk to others on this forum I suggest submitting in the thyroid support area. They are a great bunch of people. They gave me helpful advise about my nodules.Best to you.

Take Care,
Marla13
Hello; I have talked to the reception nurse at the surgeons office, and was told that not to worry... my file is on his desk. I hope that I hear from them soon.I have enjoyed reading the forum, it has helped me alot. I will write when I hear when I will be able to get rid of this obstruction. I feel it getting bigger and more binding. I sure am glad that I have read the surgery's that you have shared. Thanks again.