Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Was this Hypothermia? I have hypothyroidism.

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Late last night I began to feel so down to the bone frozen I could barely stand it. I know people with hypothyroidism can easily get hypothermic, even indoors, but I have read they are usually unable to perceive when this is happening to them. I, on the other hand, became intensely afraid. I couldn't find my thermometer, but I knew that I  had to get warm. So, I put on my sweat suit, 2 pair of socks, gloves, my heavy robe, and got under the blankets. It took me about an hour to feel warm enough to get up, but I knew that when this happens, if I get up, it will happen again, but I had to take my temp. It was up to 97.6 by then. I know It had to have come close to that 95 degree mark because I felt much warmer at 97.6. My thermostat was set for 73 degrees because I had it on 75 and my guys were so hot they said they felt like they were going to puke, but I was freezing cold. Upon waking this morning, my temp was still at 97.6, but I wore the gloves and all. After the grandkids came this morning , (I babysit them), my temp was normal, so I did not tell their mother. What should I do? My family Dr. prescribed me levothyroxine months ago, but has not done any bloodowork since, and I do not feel the medicine is working. Should I ask to see an endocinologist? Most of all, was this hypothermia?
Would toak to your doctor about retesting thyroid levels.
Sorry. Did not think you had seen this. He did finally retest my thyroid, but said it came back normal but that I was vitamin D deficient. I had another freezing attack and temp was 95.7. I caught it quickly. It happens very fast. They ran all my tests, iron, cbc, vitamin D level, thyroid, etc.,  at 2:30 in the evening, on a full stomach, and that just seemed ridiculous to me. I never even got to talk to the Dr. and he prescribed vitamin D2 once a week, which I have read is not absorbed in obese people(I weigh 196), as it never makes it into their bones, but embeds itself in their fat cells. I wanted to ask if he could prescribe D3, instead. I began crying in the office because I was so sick and went home and projectile vomited. Now, when I'm not constipated, I have diarrhea, but my hair is not falling out as badly as it was. I just don't know what to think, except I want a new Dr. after 14 years of putting up with a lot of mess. I called them about the new temperature drop and vomiting days ago and they never returned my call. Thank you for reading and responding. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.