Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Was this Hypothermia? I have hypothyroidism.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Was this Hypothermia? I have hypothyroidism.

Late last night I began to feel so down to the bone frozen I could barely stand it. I know people with hypothyroidism can easily get hypothermic, even indoors, but I have read they are usually unable to perceive when this is happening to them. I, on the other hand, became intensely afraid. I couldn't find my thermometer, but I knew that I  had to get warm. So, I put on my sweat suit, 2 pair of socks, gloves, my heavy robe, and got under the blankets. It took me about an hour to feel warm enough to get up, but I knew that when this happens, if I get up, it will happen again, but I had to take my temp. It was up to 97.6 by then. I know It had to have come close to that 95 degree mark because I felt much warmer at 97.6. My thermostat was set for 73 degrees because I had it on 75 and my guys were so hot they said they felt like they were going to puke, but I was freezing cold. Upon waking this morning, my temp was still at 97.6, but I wore the gloves and all. After the grandkids came this morning , (I babysit them), my temp was normal, so I did not tell their mother. What should I do? My family Dr. prescribed me levothyroxine months ago, but has not done any bloodowork since, and I do not feel the medicine is working. Should I ask to see an endocinologist? Most of all, was this hypothermia?