Weight Loss Lap Band with Hypo-thyroid disease patient.
I am 20 yrs. old and weigh 270 lbs. I found out about a procedure the Lap Band that a doctor can insert to cause you to lose 50% of your excess body weight in a 2-3yr. time period. My question is, being diagnosed with Hypo-thyroid disease would it be safe for me to have the Lap Band done? I have tried Dieting and for some reason just can not seem to stick with a diet. I excercise but beause i intake the same amount of calories i'm stuck in neutral. I'm looking for help as quickly as I can get it. I know that being this way is damaging to me physically and caused alot of my depression. I get tired walking up stairs, I get asked if i'm pregnant even though i'm not. I want to have a much deserved and needed body that can keep up with what I need and want to be doing. Please help me.
Fine to have bariatric surgery if the hypothyroidism is treated with thyroid hormone replacement.  I have a few patients who have done this.  Bariatric surgery is a last resort for weight loss, typically patients are followed for 5-6 months medically before the surgery and undergo extensive evaluation -- as long as this is the case, and your doctor considers you a good candidate for the procedure, it may be a very good option.
A related discussion, nodules was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.