Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Weight after Thyroid Surgery removal

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Weight after Thyroid Surgery removal

I currently have a mass in my thyroid and I am getting my thyroid removed the 1st week in February because I also have cancer in my Thyroid so it's just save for me to remove it right now. Right now with the way my Thyroid is I am losing alot of weight I am way under weight right now which I feel really good about, and I have lost my appetite right now and my thyroid has really affected my body. That is why I am really anxious to get it out, it has affected my sleep my appetite like I said my body just doesn't feel right and I have never felt this bad. I am used to working out everyday now since I ran into this problem with my Thyroid I don't have the energy to workout everyday which is not like me so hopefully when  my thyroid is removed I will get back to working out again. I feel bad not being about to workout by body just doesn't feel good not working out I am so used to doing it everyday. Now when my thyroid is removed will I notice any body changes will I gain alot of weight the 1st few weeks which I hope I don't that would be a big concern to me I watch my weight so much and i also watch what I eat.
After thyroid surgery you will be on medications to kep thyroid in the high-normal range which statistically should not have a negative impact on metabolism.
Thank you for your advice, like you said I should be put on medications to keep my thyroid in the high normal range which should keep my weight normal, could I still gain weight, that's my big issue here. With cancer in my thyroid right now I am losing alot of weight right now and I don't have the energy to workout like I used to even though I am trying. Can I still loose weight after my thyroid surgery like I am now which I hope I will it's better to loose than gain. I much prefer where I am right now at 125lbs than my normal weight 160lbs. Again thank you for you advice, also should my body go back to it's normal stage when my thyroid is removed.
For awhile I had hyperthyroidism and high metabolism and I was dropping weight at least 2lbs a week, and now that all has stopped since I talked to my thyroid Doctor about it I have noticed. I loved dropping the weight my body felt really good and so did I. But now it doesn't happen anymore whats going on. I don't workout as much as I used and I really want to get back to working out like I used to which I am going to try to  do tomorrow. My clothes used fall off me I used be so skinny. Now what can I do to get back into that habbit of being so skinny as  to where I had the hyperthyroidismy and high metabolism and dropping the weight at least 2lbs a week like I used to. Can you please advise me here please.