Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
What is the long term effects of RAI treatment ?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

What is the long term effects of RAI treatment of Hyper throid?
Are there something to worry after say 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years ?  Thanks.
RAI has been around for about 60 years and has been safe.  There is no significant long-term risk in terms of cancer development or fertility issues that have been discovered after researching tens of thousands of patients treated in this way.
no effects only that you become hypothyroid for life as they are essentially shutting your thyroid down (which is usually over producing thyroid hormone). RAI is NOT the only option for Graves disease. Please do your research and consider alternatives. I wish you good luck!
Thank you. but I only know ATD, RAI and Surgery 3 ways to handle this problem.  Doctors always said you can not use ATD for long term (more than 2 or 3 years),   better do RAI and use hormone supplement. Is hormone saver than hormone ?  what is the problem if you use ATD for 10+ years ?.
One of the questions here is 'Is hormone saver than ATD ? not saver then hormone''
One more follow up question.  is there a statistics report or % on successful RAI and unsuccessful RAI (say the last 5 years).  I saw a lot of unsuccessful RAI people here and also on other thyroid forum, but wonder if the number can represent the real world. I am thinking the successful RAI people will not even bother to come to these forums.  Your comments please.
Not sure. Please ask your question from the doctor here - but you have to start a new question. He will not come back to read in the thread.. Lets see what he responds. OK?