Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
What is the normal range of T3, T4, TSH after full thyroidectomy

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Dear Dr Lupo,

I have full thyroidectomy 1.5 year ago after diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer.
I use to take 150mcg thyroxine, with my TSH at TSH 18.6 uIU/mL, T3/T4 in range.

Just 2 months ago my doctor has increase the regiment to 175mcg, my body weight is 64 kg

The latest blood test shows

T4   2.0ng/dL    
TRIIODOTHYRONINE - TRUE,SER/PLAS,QN,  121 ng/dL  
TSH 0.9 uIU/mL

What would be the optimal range of T3, T4 and TSH for a person with my condition (full thyroidectomy)

Best Regard
The most important value is the TSH - we try to keep the T4 and T3 within normal range.  With the thyroid cancer history, the TSH goal is a little lower than usual -- and this depends on the risk/stage of thyroid cancer -- in some cases we keep TSH <0.1 but in most it is fine to keep in 0.2-0.5 range.