Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
What's going on?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

What's going on?
I am a 38 year old female and just went to the internist for a yearly checkup.  He felt my thyroid and said it was large.  There is no visible bump and I haven't had trouble swallowing or hoarseness.  Within three days, I had a thyroid ultrasound and then was sent for a thyroid uptake scan.  My uptake scan showed that I have a mass (cold nodule) on my right thyroid.  The left and right throid glands appear normal.  The radiologist is suggesting that a biopsy is the next step.  

First, what are the chances/statistics that this nodule is cancer?  Second, if it is cancer, how treatable/curable is it? Lastly, I want my thyroid and the nodule removed....is this the wise way to go?

Please help!  I've been worried sick about this.
Thanks,
Kim
The next step is FNA biopsy.  Only 5-10% of these are cancer and if the biopsy is benign then the nodule is monitored w/o surgery.  If cancer, then it is usually papillary thyroid cancer which is very treatable w/ an excellent prognosis in most cases (especially females 18-45yo).