Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
When will I feel better? I'm missing a lot of work

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have been on methimazole for about 5 days now.  I still have spikes of blood pressure and pulse and all the other lousy symptoms.  I thought the spikes would have at least gotten better by now.  Does this medication stop the thyroid from putting out all those hormones that are bothering me?  Can you explain why Im not feeling better.  I am hyperthyroid.  Im on 10mg 2 times a day for a total of 20mg.  Im also on atenolol which Ive taken for years now.  50mg in the am,  25 usually in the afternoon and 50mg at night.   My head feels messed up inside,  I get spikes,  hot flashes,  shakes inside my abdomen and my legs shake a lot.  Probably some other things I didnt mention.  When will all this misery stop.  I dont knwo what is anxiety and what is panic attacks and what is thyroid.  I woke up this am with this terrible stuff. Thanks
It will take 2-3 weeks for the methimazole to take effect.  Hang in there -- it will get better -- the atenolol may need to be increased in the meantime.
I actually have hypothyroid so not sure if medication works the same, but my doctor told me it will take at least three weeks to start feeling better.  When I first went on synthroid the first week I was on it I felt worse than ever, could barely lift my arms.  Then in couple of weeks everything started to feel better.  Although now I have been on too high of dose of synthroid so I am having symptoms similar to what you are having.  It is very frustrating but hopefully soon it will regulate and you should start to feel better soon too.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, our thyroid effects so much in our bodies.
the doctor is right when i was diagnosed jan/07 i was on methimazole 10mg 3 times daily it took up to 4 weeks for me to feel the difference. i am now on ptu but i found out ptu works faster