Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Will Thyroid Removal cause weight gain?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Will Thyroid Removal cause weight gain?

I am having my Thyroid Removed (a growth is causing trouble swallowing) Will my energy level improve any after removal? I have gained approx 40lbs in the last 8 months or so, but all of my labs look normal.
Typically energy and weight related to thyroid are based on thyroid function -- so if after surgery the thyroid medication is properly dosed you should do fine.  If the growth is causing swallowing problems then removal is indicated and likely to make you feel better overall.
You need 3 to 5 grains of Armour.  Dose control is best done using Free T3 and Free T4.  T3 should be at or above the upper limit, and T4 should be 60% to 80% of range.

Stay away from the synthetics, and do not dose By TSH.
Have you been exposed to toxic mold?
I have lived in a home with Chaetomium three years now and have experienced a 36 lb weight gain in one year and now have multiple nodules on Thyroid and am interested in hearing of other cases of mold exposure with thyroid problems.
I DO have mold from an air conditioner leak! Thank you for the suggestion! I am clinging to the hope it IS NOT all the cookies and cake! I am at 160lbs. My normal weight is 120lbs.