Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Will iodine help?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Will iodine help?

Dr. Lupo,
     I have a family history of Hashimotos Disease, and I myself have a rather large Goiter.  Will the implementation of iodine into my diet daily help at this point?  I recently visited Dr. John Lew at the University of Miami and he recommended a total thyroidectomy.  Is there any other alternatives?  I am available to come in for an appointment with you if you so recommend for I live in St. Petersburg, Fl.  Please help....

Sincerely,
Janeen
Iodine supplements will not likely help shrink the goiter.
If there are compressive symptoms (trouble swallowing, hoarse voice, cough, choking) then attempts to shrink the goiter are indicated.  Ultrasound would help identify if there is any nodule that needs FNA biopsy as part of the consideration
Options would then be I-131 (radioactive iodine treatment) which sometimes can shrink goiter even in Hashi....OR surgery to remove the thyroid.  Of course, it is important to make certain the TSH is optimized (around 1) on your medication.
I have Hashis, iodine sends my antibodies raging.
If you are in a low iodine area maybe it will help, but I think you can get your TSH nice and low as the Dr said below 1 and there is a likelyhood the goitre will shrink on Armour thyroid or if you really have to levothyroxine (not so good in my humble opinion and in my experence but we are all different),
Unless you have cancer I think you would be unwise to have your gland removed by the way even if it is offered, its really not needed.
Hope you get good treatment.
luv whittersx