Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
a small thyroid gland

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

a small thyroid gland
I have had a scan on my thyroid and have been told that it is very small, only about a quarter of the normal size. My TSH levels have been very high and I am being perscribed Levothyroxine. My first TSH test = 150, but is now down to 43 with taking 125ug drug.
I aslo suffer with mild Lupus, and take 200mg twice daily. Could there be any connection between the two?
What could have caued this and what is the treatment likely to be?
Most hypothyroidism is autoimmune, as is the lupus -- thus the connection is not uncommon.  I would titrate the thyroid med to target a TSH around 1.0.
A related discussion, Very small thyroid? was started.
A related discussion, small thyroid was started.