Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
ablation then nodule?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

ablation then nodule?

Im 28 years old had an ablation 6 years ago for hashimotos.  I have not had one stable year since the ablation.  Now I went to an ent for other problems and find I have a small nodule.  My tsh was 5.4 in March and levo was increased to 100 mcg and tsh  is now 6.5 and ive been increased to 125 mcgs of levo.  MD tells me he just wants to monitor the nodule, but my concern is I have every symptom of hypo and no control!  Is it normal to develop a nodule after an ablation?  Everything im reading says there could be concern for malignancy dt my exposure to the radiation from the ablation.  I just dont feel like myself anymore and I need relief.  Help!
The nodule should be evaluated like other nodules for possible FNA biopsy if it is new (may have been there all along).  The nodule would not likely cuase symptoms or difficulty with regulating TSH - the recent increase in levothyroxine will hopefully help. Ablation does not usually increase risk of cancer or cause nodules and I assume it was for Graves' and not Hashi.