Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
adrenal and thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

adrenal and thyroid

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue and been going up and down the rollarcoaster for years.  ITs really frustrating cause most natropaths are throwing supplements at me .  Recently i developed a swollen thyroid and headaches.  Is this part of a thyroid thing or an allergy or sinus infection?  Im in pain. Who can i see to help me get my health back.
Would see an endocrinologist to confirm the presence/absence of adrenal and thyroid disease.
HI  Katie7777

I am *NOT*  a Doctor,

However, I'd *DEFINITELY* seen an Endocrinologist.

Have him/her run a *COMPLETE* Profile. Make sure they test your TSH, FREE T3 and FREE T4 (many Endo's do not do this as a "routine" first exam).

However, since you are "Presenting" with Symptoms, I'd MAKE SURE they test for this and by saying "MAKE SURE"--I mean ASK THEM TO.

ESPECIALLY if your Thyroid is "Swollen"--this could be something that needs further investigation (you should also have a "Thyroid Scan"---since you are swollen gland).

GOOD LUCK (remember, I'm not a Doctor---but I've suffered with this for YEARS---and FINALLY found a GREAT doctor that's running blood test after blood test on me to figure out what's wrong!

you did not mention your age, however if you are Female 30-40, this is when (I think) most Thyroid issues will present themselves.....
I agree, you MUST see and endo and get the tests she mentioned. My whole issue started wtih my thyroid and it has been downhill since.
If you do not feel comfortable with the first endo- move on... I am had to see 4 endo's before I found one who actually listened to me, tested all those things and believed I had a problem. She is good, not great... but the best I found and I feel very comfortable asking for tests and she is responsive.
Hang in there, its tough but be vigilant... you know your health the best!!
YES, I DITTO AGAIN "sick and tired 47".
For whatever reason, if your Endo takes a "wait and see approach" (like many do)....find another---you may have to go to 3-4-5 before you find a good one......

If you don't have friend's/family that can offer a Good Endo---I'd ask a Pharmacist---and ask them to tell you who they see that writes a lot of prescriptions...which means that Doctor is *FINDING* lots of results (ie. doing *something right*).

I'm *NOT* saying taking a pill is the end of all ills---but what hypothesis I'm running off of is they are at least *TRYING* to treat what  they've found...

I read BOARD AFTER BOARD--where people Suffer and cry out in pain....and FINALLY find a good Endo---and get a pill and their suffering goes away...

I saw a Discovery Health Episode...EXACT same thing...lady for years suffered (saw over 12 specialists off all different kinds---all different theories)--she saw an Endo---and *POOF* was CURED (was Hypothyroid). She could live a normal life again vs. being sofa bound....

The most frustrating part of finding a "Good" Doctor (who performs blood tests)---is it takes a *LOT* of patience----

Mine will do a blood test...takes 21 BUSINESS DAYS to get back results (ie.=true month)--I call to make a follow up appointment 2-weeks later---they follow up on what they found on blood tests one--takes another MONTH--2-weeks more to go back in---so that's 3-MONTHS following up on *ONE* Hypothesis....

So, probably why a lot of endo's don't do this...but mine is GREAT at least "digging" (vs saying "see me in six months to test your TSH again)....NO, NO, NO! (if they *ONLY* do a TSH test----they are robbing you of TIME feeling better--and find another Endo. Just my $0.02 and GOOD LUCK--GOD SPEED--and WHATEVER YOU DO...DON'T GIVE UP and think life has to be apart of "feeling bad". .