Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
arm pain and thyroid medication

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

arm pain and thyroid medication

I've been hormorne replacement since 1983.  I've been back and forth with adjusting the levels and different types of Thyroid pills.  I've been on Armour thyroid since 1997 after my body abruptly changed and it made me hyperthryoid.  I developed a bad pain in my arm between my shoulder and elbow which I thought (and still think) is tendonitis. I should also mention (which I actually forgot to mention) to my practitioner (a chiropractor that does CRA (Contact Reflex Analysis) amongst other muscle testing) that I had taken a fall down the steps about a week before this pain started.  My chiropractor originally said tendonitis but the pain has been so bad that I went back to him last night and he "muscle tested me" with my thyroid pills (Armour 1 and 1/2 grain) daily) and said that I needed to take 3 of those and day and to come back on Tuesday and he would muscle test again with my pills.  I about died!  my last Thyroid test result were Nov. 9, 2005 and my MD said they were find.  Results were 2.38.  The last test before that in Jan. of 05 was 2.24.  According to the normal levels on my printout the norm should be 0.34-5.00.  So in the mean time between taking just 2 Motrin (OTC)every 6 or so hrs. for the inflammation in the arm, I just can't grasp on to the concept of the low thryoid  causing this pain.  I try to do things naturally way because of so many side effects of pills. Any help would be appreciated.
The TSH levels you mention are normal and I have trouble explaining the pain based on thyroid.  If you are not responding well to armour then consider synthroid or levoxyl -- goal TSH is around 1.0.  Good Luck
I only have one question... Why in the world would you let a Chiropracter check your thyroid and change your dose.  In the first place changing overnight from 1 1/2 gr to 3 gr overnight is too too  fast.  The usual procedure for a dessicated thyroid change is 1/2 to 1 grain raise every 2 to 3 weeks.  Slow is the name of the game.Go back to the doctor who has had you on the Armour and get his advice.  Hope you feel better.
No; my Dr. just does the TSH...says with Armour somehow it balances out or whatever
Thanks for the input...I get sooo confused with this stuff.  I've actually decided to just stay where I'm at because that is what my test results indicate. I have my thyoid level tested every year because I don't have one. I've already been down the road with too much thyroid med, took me forever to get "normal" so I'm just going to go by how I feel.
I'm not sure if your arm pain and hypothyroidism is connected but interestingly enough I too have both.  If your arm hurts between your elbow and shoulder and it's painful to reach behind you then you definitely have "frozen shoulder" aka "adhesive capsulitis". It lasts 12 months in 3 stages, the first 4 months is the most painful and is the "freezing stage", the 2nd 4 months is the "frozen stage" and your arm is useless, the 3rd stage and final 4 months is the "thawing stage" and your arm gets back to normal. Seriously, all you can do is let it run it's course and do physical therapy.  I'm going to do some research and see if it is somehow related to an under functioning thyroid.