Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
biopsy alternatives?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

biopsy alternatives?

I had a not so good experience about a month ago when I had an ultrasound guided Fine Needle Biopsy done on a growth that covers most of the area of one of my left thyroid.

First the anesthetic may have been mis-guided as the last shot seemed to impair my breathing (I think they numbed too close to my wind-pipe).

I still felt some pain during the biopsy, but worse than that, it just felt traumatized (like they were digging around). It swelled up a great deal, was very tender for a week after and it hurt to turn my neck. A month later it has finely healed enough that I feel I could put it through an iodine uptake test that my endocrinologist recommended.  But, I think the biopsy did more harm than good as now the growth is big enough to see when I swallow.  

It's been a couple of days and while I don't have the results from the uptake, the biopsy came back with a nondiagnostic result.  I am worried that I will be asked to repeat the biopsy but I don't know if I can go through that again. Do I have any other option to suggest as an alternative?

Blood results were in normal range.